Tuesday, February 11, 2014

More Things We Do that Seem Normal to us but has Friends and Family Members thinking we are Not...

Hi! This is a spin off this post I wrote a while ago about the things that have become habit here at my house (like not watching tv and not using paper towels) but have our friends and family scratching there head and talking about us as "odd"and "eco freaks"..

(Just as a side note, people tend to think we are deprived. I don't really picture myself as that. Not to mention, I am actually kind of lazy.)

1.) Social Media

Other than this blog, I don't participate in any social media. (Unless email counts?) I had a facebook, but to be honest I didn't find it useful. It contributed to my dissatisfaction with my life. And I've never had a twitter. I will never forget the first time we had a friend over who was talking about twittering something, and my husband and I assumed "twittering"was some kind of sexual slang.. I guess we are getting old. (My husband has a facebook.)

2.) Wash and Re-use plastic bags

Yeah, I know plastic isn't that great. But if I buy something that comes in a plastic bag I am going to try to use it rather than sending it straight to the trash. We have a hook in the kitchen that is meant for hanging paper towels, but since we don't use paper towels it has become my plastic bag dryer. I just hang the bag on it. People really seem to think this is weird. (And you get this odd sort of pity that maybe you are so poor you can't afford a box of Ziploc.)

3.) Cloth Diapers

I get a lot of questions about this. The first I always get asked is if I use a diaper service. This puzzles me. I think that this would negate the savings/environmental impact of using cloth if I paid someone to come in a truck, haul the diapers away, wash them, and bring them back.

Really, as I said, I am kind of lazy and I do not find cloth diapers to be difficult. I use Fuzzi Bunz Pocket diapers and wipes. I keep a bag in the bathroom where I put the dirty diapers, and I wash them about every other day. Washing them is not hard. First, I run them on a cold rinse, then I add soap and wash them in warm water. Then I toss them in the dryer (when it isn't 4 degrees out maybe I'll even line dry them).

4.) I don't wash my clothes

Well, unless them smell bad. Or have stains on them. But, I wear them a lot before I wash them, and if they get a small spot I will use a rag and just scrub that spot. This is pure laziness disguised as eco-friendly.

I just want to share these things because it really isn't that hard to make changes. If I can do it, so can you. :)

Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment