Friday, November 1, 2013

Photo Friday #6 Home Tour 1

Whenever I see home tours on blogs (which I love, especially tiny houses, and minimalist houses), it always makes me look around my house and think "jeez, what do these people do? my place is a mess!" Is it because I live with 2 males? I don't know. Then I thought hm, maybe the pictures make the houses look cleaner than they are, and maybe if I take pictures of my house, it will look nice and clean and fresh (wishful thinking?)
So, without picking up first, I took some pictures and thought I would give you an "authentic" tour of some of my house.

A little background- we live in a carriage house- about 900 sq feet. The living space is upstairs, and underneath are 4 "unfinished" carriage bays- which house my husband's studio, a laundry room, and a powder room, and junk.


This is what you see when you open the door at the top of the steps. Straight ahead looks into the family room, or "the big room" as we call it here, since it is the biggest room in the house. My son fills this room with toys.




If you look right, you see where we hang coats and things. And further right, are the 2 bedrooms and bathroom, which we will not be visiting today.

 
To the right is an "L" shaped dining room and living room with a galley kitchen.


At the far right you can see a little table that is a catch-all for crap stuff like mail, etc.

And if we keep walking we can see the kitchen:




Hello kitchen! Nothing to shout about, but it gets the job done.



Standing by the table you see the small living room area, that's our "creative space"- easel, bookcase, piano, etc.



A rope rocker and a baby seat, getting ready for the new baby due in (gasp) 10 days....


The view when sitting in the rocker- you can see over the by the table was a crafty thing I made that I was proud of- a hanging clothesline to display my son's artwork. :)

It's funny, looking at pictures actually helps me see the areas I need to declutter (what's with all the bags laying on the floor? oh right, baby gifts. and that random fishnet??)

Stay tuned for the rest..

Do you like looking at other people's home tours? 

Katie



7 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, yes! I love seeing photo tours and love your place. What character and fun little spaces. My dream is to live in a tiny home when I'm older. Hopefully I can get one with a bed on the first floor and not a loft. I'm claustrophobic in them and not too keen on ladders. When I'm "old," I am sure I'll be even less enthused about them.

    Oh my goodness your baby boy is going to be out in the wide world soon. Hope you are all enjoying the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am claustrophobic too- I cannot sleep in a bed against the wall with someone next to me blocking me in- I have to be able to get out easily!
      The loft beds would make me nervous- I have this thing where I need to be able to get to a bathroom easily :)
      Do you have a home tour on your blog? I will have to check...our house was built in the late 1800s/early 1900s so its tiny and has some quirks, but we do what we can.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, warm-looking sunny space! I love the contrast of your wall colour and the red blinds. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will have to check your blog and see if you have your home tour...

      Delete
  3. It is pretty cool to see how others arrange their homes. The combinations of items and spaces is nearly infinite. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love looking at other people's homes. That sounds a little creepy. But, it is always fun to get inspiration.

      Delete
  4. I know I also like looking at people's homes, so that's why I post photos too - just took me a while in this new place.

    They do say taking photos is a great way to help people to see their clutter and clean things. I know when I look through the screen/viewfinder, I see things that I don't want 'in the way'. I certainly clear those things before sharing photos (mostly!)

    ReplyDelete