Saturday, September 14, 2013

The August No Electric Dryer Outcome

For the month of August I finally stopped using my clothes dryer. I wanted to see how much electricity/money I could save (I explained in this post). Our electric bill was outrageous in June ($134.00).

My husband hung some rope we use when we camp to hang out clothes, and my mom had a container of clothes pins I was able to snag. So, the cost of the line drying operation was free.

Between the thermostat being turned down 2 degrees (this post) and not using the clothes dryer, my electric bill was $90.00 this month. But, most of the savings was from turning up the air conditioner.
The dryer only saved about $10. $10.00 is $120/year, which is better than nothing!

Even know it wasn't a big chunk of change, hanging wash out on the line is surprisingly cathartic. I like being outside, and being out there hanging clothes gave me time to just be. Finding beauty in the everyday is so amazing. I would take my time to stare at the sky, feel the grass in my toes. Things I don't normally do, especially when just shoving clothes in the dryer.

I plan on hanging my wash outside until the weather is no longer suitable, and then I will hang it inside (I hang all the undies inside. I'm not there yet). But, I know once the baby comes I might be turning on the dryer.

Do you line dry your clothes?

Katie

10 comments:

  1. Hanging out the washing is my all time favourite chore! I get to visit the vegie garden, talk to the cat, look at the sky, not listen to the children fighting... I have really reduced my tumble drying over the last couple of years. I now only dry sheets in it if it's really pouring, or throw in the washing for a few minutes if it's still slightly damp after it has 'dried' in the middle of winter.
    But yes, it can be tricky with a baby, especially all the nappies..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that tou have a garden. In my head we have a garden but right now we just belong to a csa. Yes it can definitely be hard with a baby and this is my first time around with cloth diapers so I am going to try and not be too hard on myself.

      Delete
  2. It's totally normal for Aussie to hang their washing out - either on a hills hoist (we had them in the Olympic opening ceremony, they are that iconic!), or on a foldable rack for apartment dwellers like myself. I don't mind hanging it out, and I also bring it in, in an order - folding as I go, and making sure the 'putting away' is seamless. That being said, sheets use the dryer when I don't have the height to hang sheets - which I did have in the last apartment, but not now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it used to be normal in the United States, but now I think most people think I am poor and can't afford a dryer...my sheets are too big for my line and they drag a bit on the ground- I have done sone fancy clothes pinning to try to get them to stay up but then they do take longer to dry.

      Delete
  3. Great article, Katie!!! We like to hang our clothes, every load, to dry indoors and give them a quick tumble in the dryer before putting them on hangers. Works like a charm and although we are not sure how much it saves us, your nifty post gives us an idea! Have a jumping spider Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ!
      I sometimes give our sheets a quick tumble because I heard somewhere it helps get the allergens off. Oh, and if it's really humid sometimes the clothes need a little boost. I love hearing that so many people line dry their clothes... I overheard one of my neighbor's kids saying "why are their clothes outside? did their dryer break?" lol.
      Have an awesome Monday as well. We like Mondays here- we have them off :) :)
      Katie

      Delete
  4. Hi Katie!
    Just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for a Liebster Award in my most recent post at Joyfully Green. You can read all about the rules in the Related Articles at the bottom of the post--it was just too boring for me to include them in my own post, which was already running long! Congrats and I hope you have fun with it!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Joy thanks! I will check it out. Your blog is one of my favorites :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this awesome article! I have been line drying more and more, even without a proper outdoor 'line'... my overgrown lilac ends up looking quite amusing with coat-hangers of shirts and pants all over it, swaying in the breeze (it's in the backyard so not many get to enjoy the bizarre sight, but it makes ME smile!). As I live in a cold climate there is always line drying happening in the basement. You inspire me! Thanks again for this fun post. Cheers, Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina-
      I would love to see a picture of your outdoor clothes drying operation! A line in the basement is a good idea- I am a bit worried about the "musty basement" smell, but I suppose it's not that big of a deal.
      I just started reading your blog- I am bookmarking it as I can see it is something I will really enjoy reading!! Thanks for stopping by.
      Katie

      Delete